Tibetan New Year’s Eve soup, known as guthuk in Tibetan language, is an authentic recipe served on Losar, the Tibetan New Year (March 5 this year).
The dumplings added to the soup are not those traditional dumplings that you will want to eat. They have been stuffed with nine different fortune symbols that will predict the person’s fortune in the coming year. These symbols are sugar cube, charcoal, wool string, wood, bean, paper, pebble, chili pepper and cotton ball. Wool is considered to signify good-heartedness, while charcoal denotes meanness. These dumplings are not eaten, but discarded after the fortune is revealed. Learn how to make this traditional Tibetan soup by going through the lines below.
Ingredients For the Soup
- 2 pounds Lean Beef Stew Meat
- 3 quarts Water
- 1 cup Onions (sliced)
- 1 cup Leeks (sliced)
- 1 cup Celery (sliced)
- 2 cups Napa Cabbage (sliced)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Turmeric Seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp hot pepper flakes
- 4 cups Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Water
- Flour (for dusting)
Fortune Symbols to add to the Dumplings
- Sugar Cube
- Raw Bean
- Small piece of Wood
- Wool String
- Piece of Charcoal
- Folded Paper
- Hot Chili Pepper
- Cotton Ball
Instructions for Soup
- Chop the meat into small cubes.
- Place the meat cubes in a large pot and pour 3 quarts of water.
- Boil the water and then simmer for one hour.
- Add onions, leeks, celery, Napa cabbage, salt, bay leaf, turmeric seeds, mustard seeds and pepper flakes. Stir well.
- Simmer the soup for another one hour till the meat is done.
- Remove from heat and keep the soup hot.
Instructions for Dumplings
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add salt and knead stiff dough using electric mixer, while adding water, on slow speed.
- Transfer the dough to floured working surface and knead the dough again.
- Shape the dough into a long roll.
- Divide the roll into 9 equal pieces.
- Flatten each dough piece using your palm.
- Place one fortune symbol in each dumpling.
- Moisten the dough edges water and seal the dumpling.
- Fill a wide soup pot with plenty of water and boil it.
- Add the dumplings to the water and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove and transfer the dumplings to a large plate.
- Let each person pick up one dumpling and open to find their fortune.
- Serve hot soup thereafter.